– The insecurity level in Rivers state has taken another dimension
– Governor Wike has extended the curfew in 23 local governments following the spate of killings in the state
– According to him, the measure was taken to stem the breaking down of law and order
Nyesom Wike, the governor of Rivers state, has extended the night curfew across the 23 local government areas of the state from 7 pm to 6 am, starting from Tuesday, May 11, in order to stem dastardly attacks on security formations in the state.
The Punch reports that the governor said the decision was taken in the wake of multiple armed ambushes on police checkpoints along the East-West road which resulted in the cold-blooded murder of seven police officers over the weekend.
Legit.ng gathered that Wike, in a state broadcast on Monday, May 10, said the state security council has reviewed the way and manner the recent attacks were executed.
He said it was discovered that the perpetrators, who disguised themselves as security officers, moved in unhindered from Oyigbo to launch the attack.
Daily Nigerian also reports that the governor’s broadcast was relayed to newsmen in Port Harcourt by his special assistant on media, Kelvin Ebiri.
The statement read:
“However, as a further step towards enhancing our collective safety, we have reviewed the existing nighttime curfew across the 23 local government Areas, which will now start from 7 p.m. and end at 6 a.m. until further notice from tomorrow 11th May 2021.
“The security agencies are hereby directed to note the new curfew time, ensure strict compliance and effectively deal with any person or group that violates or attempts to violate it.”
The governor also consoled the families of the dead officers and the state’s police command for the irreparable loss.
He, however, declared that the government and security agencies are determined to deploy everything at their disposal to advance the safety and security of lives and property in the state.
“We wish to assure every resident that we are not intimidated by the sporadic and cowardly attacks on predetermined security targets by faceless criminals on our soil; neither will we be cowed into succumbing to a baseless and doomed secessionist agenda.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Wike asked the federal government to account for $1 billion dollars that was withdrawn from the Excess Crude Account to purchase arms for the fight against insecurity.
It was reported that Wike told said that the need to account for the funds has become important taking into account the current security challenges in the country.