The purpose of putting this program together is to help orientate and brief participants about the need to incorporate professional counseling competence and clinical counseling skills into church counseling and ensures that a given number of church heads possess the basic skill of counseling as this will help in a long way to help members of the ministry in resolving their problem without going to seek help elsewhere.
Within a church context, the pastor’s task is much greater than the counselor’s, which is why the needed skills need to be acquired by ministers to fill this vacuum. It will be a great idea if church members could go to the one who was both a skilled counselor and also the pastor. Someone who was trained in professional pastoral counseling skills, at the same time committed to pastoring church members and is readily available to them in the church.
BENEFITS OF THIS TRAINING
1. Increase the confidence of the members in the skills and professionalism of the counselors.
2. Ensures that members don’t seek wrong counsel outside the church.
3. Improve the counseling competencies of counselors/workers in the area of
4. Ensures that counseling produces the desired result and thereby a happy and more productive congregation.
5. Could even be a means of creating employment for the church for members. etc.