– The new WTO director-general has revealed that she did not expect US to initially block her appointment
– According to her, she had what she believed was successful interviews with the top country
– However, she praised the Biden/Harris administration for changing the dynamics of things
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s former Finance Minister, says she was surprised that the administration of President Donald Trump could stand in her way of leading the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
At a press briefing monitored by Daily Trust, the new Director-General of WTO said she did not see it coming.
She said she felt she had a good understanding with the US government which interviewed her about the job twice.
“I think I was quite surprised when that came (opposition from Trump) because there was no indication that there was any problem with the US.
“I had two good interviews with the authorities and with the administration so it was a surprise. But that’s the way life works. When things happen, you take them in your stride and you move on.
“It was absolutely wonderful when the Biden/Harris administration broke that logjam. They joined the consensus and gave such a strong endorsement to my candidacy. They joined the other 163 members to endorse my candidacy,” she said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Okonjo-Iweala spoke on her history-making appointment.
She showed her appreciation in a post she tweeted on social media on Monday, February 15, shortly after it was announced that she had been appointed.
Her post read:
“It is done! Thank you @WTO members for finalizing my election today and making history. In the 73 years of GATT and WTO, honored to be First Woman and First African to lead. But now the real work begins. Ready to tackle the challenges of WTO. Forget Business as usual!”