– The abducted Jengebe school children have been releasedfrom the kidnappers’ den
– Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state announced their release on Tuesday, March 2 via a tweet
– The governor, however, noted that he would soon reveal the mystery behind the abduction of the schoolgirls
Hours after the release of the kidnapped of the 317 students of the Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talatu-Mafara local government area of Zamfara state, Governor Bello Matawalle has finally revealed the girls were freed from their captors.
Daily Trust reports that the governor said on Tuesday, March 2, that while the state was in negotiation with kidnappers of Jangebe schoolgirls, the armed men were offered money by unnamed persons not to release the children.
Legit.ng gathered that Matawalle made the disclosure when he was addressing the freed Jangebe schoolgirls on Gusau, the state capital.
The governor said he would soon reveal the mystery behind the abduction of the girls, adding that those instigating criminals should be careful.
He said he talked to the relevant security agencies including the police, DSS and the Army to discreetly investigate the matter.
“I didn’t sleep for four days. We worked hard for days to ensure the safe return of the girls to their families. We are using kinetic and non-kinetic approaches, and the non-kinetic is working for us. If not, we wouldn’t have successfully negotiated the release of these girls.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Zamfara government announced the release of the schoolgirls kidnapped in the Jengebe area of the state.
It was reported that there was speculation about their release at the weekend, but the Zamfara state government dismissed the rumour as fake news.
Governor Matawalle, however, gave the good news in the early morning of Tuesday, March 2.
In a related report, some of the abducted female students allegedly escaped from their abductors. The report had it that seven out of the 317 female students escaped from the bandits while trekking along the forest.
A source from Jangebe on Friday evening, February 26, said the girls have returned home, adding that the escaped students revealed more had also escaped and are expected back soon.
According to the source, the escaped students said more had also escaped and are expected back soon.
Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B.A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.