It is no longer surprising that many famous footballers from our country play for different clubs overseas. These footballers’ talents and skills make them choice men among clubs outside the country. Of course, there are many Nigerians who were born abroad with mixed roots who now proudly wear Nigerian colours. Check out the list of Nigerian players abroad this year.
We are going to tell you about the famous and promising football players who represent our nation at the international level and find out the names of their soccer teams. We are sure many names will not be new for you because soccer players from our country manage to build successful careers abroad.
List of Nigerian players abroad and their clubs
Most Nigerian players who go abroad to build impressive careers took their first football steps in different squads within our big country.
Nigerians abroad score for English FCs, European teams, and others. Many footballers abroad do not forget their motherland and do everything they can to promote our nation and make our countrymen proud of them.
Check out the list of famous Nigerian footballers in England and other foreign clubs.
READ ALSO: Top 10 famous Nigerian footballers the country is proud of
Nigerian footballers in England
Some of these footballers were born in our country, and others, outside Nigeria but by Nigerian parents.
- John Obi Mikel – now plays for Middlesbrough
- Alex Iwobi – famous Arsenal forwarder
- Wilfred Ndidi – represents Leicester City
- Shola Ameobi – plays for Notts County, Nottingham FC
- Hope Akpan – scores for Bradford City
- Leon Balogun – he is a part of Brighton & Hove Albion
- Kelechi Iheanacho – he has a contract with Leicester City
- Sone Aluko – this man performs great for the English team Reading
- Peter Etebo – currently scores for Stoke City
- Semi Ajayi – he represents the Rotherham United
- Kelvin Etuhu – he is a member of Carlisle United football squad based in Cumbria, England
- Danny Shittu – he’s been a free agent since he stopped scoring for Millwall FC
Nigerian players abroad
The list of Nigerian players overseas goes way beyond footballers who score for English teams. There are many Nigerians who play for European and Asian football clubs.
Here are some Nigerians who are members of clubs in Asia and other parts of Europe:
- Ahmed Musa – he now represents the Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr
- Victor Moses – currently on loan for Turkish club Fenerbahce
- Henry Onyekuru – he is on loan for Turkish club Galatasaray
- Chidozie Awaziem – this man is on loan for Turkish FC Caykur Rizespor
- William Troost-Ekong – he is a member of the Italian football club Udinese
- Ola Aina – he scores for the Italian club Torino on loan from Chelsea
- Chuba Akpom – the Greek club PAOK is proud to have him
- Emmanuel Emenike – plays for Spanish FC Las Palmas on loan
- Brown Ideye – he scores for Spanish FC Malaga
- Isaac Success – he is on loan for Malaga in Spain
- Kenneth Omeruo – on loan for Spanish Leganes
- Francis Uzoho – the Nigerian goalkeeper works abroad on loan for Spanish squad Elche
- Samuel Chukwueze – he scores for the Spanish team Villarreal
- Moses Simon – plays for Spanish football club Levante
- Dickson Etuhu – he signed a contract with Swedish squad IFK Rössjöholm in 2017
- Odion Ighalo – he is a part of the Chinese club Changchun Yatai
- Obafemi Martins – he was a member of Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua from 2016-2018
- Victor Anichebe – he was part of Beijing University Football Club in China in 2017
- Peter Odemwingie – he scores for the Indonesian club Madura United
- John Utaka – currently, he is a member of the French club, Sedan
- Taye Taiwo – he plays for a Finnish squad
- Brian Idowu – this Russian-Nigerian man plays for Russian Lokomotiv Moscow
- John Ogu – is a part of the Israeli team Hapoel Be’er Sheva
- Jamilu Collins – plays for hte German squad SC Paderborn
- Samuel Kalu – plays for Bordeaux in France
- Mikel Agu – this 25-year-old is on loan for Vitoria de Setubal in Portugal
- Tyronne Ebuehi – works for Portuguese FC Benfica
- Elderson Echiejile – he scores for the Belgian team Cercle Brugge on loan.
Our list of Nigerian players abroad and their clubs includes only active footballers. It does not include retired footballers living in other countries. There are also many of our countrymen abroad who are parts of teams in other countries like Bulgaria, Morocco, Norway, Poland, Zambia, Algeria, Switzerland, and many other squads.
READ ALSO: Nigerian richest footballers and their net worth